Compare prices from the names you trust.
How to get your car insurance quotes on Kanetix.ca:
1. You search
Find and compare rates from multiple top insurance providers.
2. You choose
Select the best auto insurance quote from the rates available to you.
3. Secure your rate
Connect to the provider and secure your rate!
Car insurance in Laval
Laval is the largest suburb of Montreal, Quebec. It is also the third largest municipality in the province of Quebec, and the 13th largest city in Canada. The population currently exceeds 402,000. Data from Kanetix.ca shows that the average age of drivers searching for low rates in Laval is 39 and male drivers (65%) outnumber females (35%) by a significant amount.
Laval car insurance policy 101
Your Laval car insurance policy has mandatory coverages as well as a few optional coverages that can be purchased. The mandatory coverages are broken down in to two components:
- Public auto insurance: Your driver's licence is administered by the government agency called the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), and includes Injury coverage in the cost.
Each year, premiums are set for Quebec's public automobile insurance plan. Premiums can vary depending on your driving record as well as demerit points accumulated. The public automobile insurance plan in Quebec ensures that all its residents are covered for injury or death resulting from an automobile collision.
- Private auto insurance: Your private plan covers civil liability as well as property damage. This coverage is obtained though private insurance companies that Kanetix.ca features. The minimum legal coverage is $50,000, but it is much more common to have liability that is set to $1 million or $2 million.
There are more than three optional coverages that can be added to your Laval car insurance policy, but the most common are the following:
- Collision (or upset) coverage: This covers damage to your vehicle as a result of an impact or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insures your car against damage caused by non-collision scenarios like theft and vandalism.
- All perils coverage: This is both collision/upset coverage and comprehensive coverage rolled up into one.
These optional coverages typically come with a deductible. A deductible is the portion of an insurance claim you agree to pay. Your deductibles will factor into how your auto insurance rates are calculated. The higher the deductible the lower your rates.
Residents of Laval, as well as car insurance customers across Canada, understand that several factors come into play when auto insurance firms calculate rates. The following are all important factors that your insurance provider considers when determining your rate:
Where you live: Since Laval is a mere 11 kilometres from Montreal, you can expect it to have similar driving conditions. Therefore, busy traffic conditions and tough driving situations will arise. If you live in quieter more remote sections of the city with less traffic congestion, there may be a chance to capitalize on it in terms of lower insurance premiums.
Your commute: The driving distance from Montreal to Laval is about 13 kilometres, and thousands of drivers make that trip each day. Insurance providers take note of the length and duration of the drive to work when they calculate rates. They also note which customers use public transportation or other means such as walking or bicycling to work when they establish insurance premiums. Generally speaking, the latter methods have a cost advantage when determining rates.
The car you drive: Vehicle model and year is a major component in determining auto insurance premiums. Theft rates, safety ratings, repair costs and several other parameters are also used by insurance professionals to help generate the most accurate insurance premiums.
In Laval, the Honda Civic takes the top spot for most popular vehicle that drivers shop insurance for. The Mazda3 is the second most commonly insured automobile followed by the Toyota Corolla. The Hyundai Elantra and Volkswagen Jetta hold down the fourth and fifth spots among drivers researching rates on Kanetix.ca.
Your driving history: Insurance premiums reflect your past driving behavior and there`s nothing you can do to prevent that. Therefore, expect all accidents, infractions, tickets or charges that appear on your driving record to be scrutinized by your insurance company. At the same time, if you show that you have a safe driving history with little or no driving mishaps, you can be sure insurance companies will take it into consideration. It could knock down your insurance costs significantly.
More than half of all drivers in Laval report at least one car accident, as noted while getting their auto insurance quotes on Kanetix.ca. In fact, a hefty 62 per cent have reported at least one incident. Significantly less drivers (47%), report that they have received at least one ticket. Almost half of all male drivers (49%) admitted they had at least one ticket, which is slightly higher when compared to the female group at 43%.
Many drivers are convinced that using some form of roadside assistance program is of great benefit today especially as driving conditions become more difficult. According to statistics obtained by Kanetix.ca, 32 per cent of Laval car insurance customers use roadside assistance programs. These drivers should inform their insurance companies to see if they qualify for a discount, as many insurance firms offer a price reduction.
More ways to save on car insurance
Comparing rates regularly will ensure you're getting the best price for your car insurance coverage, but it's not the only way you can save on your car insurance. Great ways to save include the following:
- Renewal time as well as when there have been changes in your life is a good time to save on your rate. Getting married (or divorced), moving, buying a new car, adding drivers to your policy (like your teen), getting a ticket, being involved in a collision, changing jobs or retiring can also have an effect on your rate.
- Multiple policies with one insurance company should mean significant savings for customers, right? As it turns out, insurance companies will give significant discounts to reward that loyalty. Laval insurance customers (44%) take advantage of a multi-line discount from their provider.
- Roadside assistance program is of great benefit today especially as driving conditions become more difficult. According to statistics obtained by Kanetix.ca, 32 per cent of Laval car insurance customers use roadside assistance programs. These drivers should inform their insurance companies to see if they qualify for a discount, as many insurance firms offer a price reduction.
If you want even cheaper insurance prices, there are ways of obtaining it. If you haven`t already done so, complete a driver training course. Also, look into adding security features on your vehicle, or installing an alarm system in your garage.
Not ready to shop for insurance today?Set a renewal reminder and we'll let you know when it's time to save.
A Senior’s Guide to Auto Insurance
Sep 30, 2020
Experience matters, and being a mature, experienced driver does have advantages. For instance, many auto insurance companies will recognize your experience as a safe driver, which can translate into senior driver discounts. If you are 50 years of age or…
Wildlife Collisions: What to Do if You Hit an Animal
Sep 28, 2020
No one wants to hit a cute little animal on the road with a car, and you don’t want to hit a large one — it could lead to a life-threatening accident. In the very least, a collision with wildlife…
Will My Auto Insurance Policy Cover Me for Delivering Food?
Sep 10, 2020
Everybody seems to have a side hustle these days, and for a good reason. Compared to 1995, $100 has a buying power of only $64.37 today. It’s a trend that’s projected to continue. The still-raging COVID-19 pandemic has also punished…